Release Management for On-Premise and Azure Applications
- Use of Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services and Release Management
- Configure Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services and Release Management for variety of deployment scenarios
Los Angeles County Department of Public Works (DPW) is responsible for the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of roads, traffic signals, bridges, airports, sewers, flood control, water supply, water quality, and water conservation facilities. DPW delivers regional infrastructure and services improving the quality of life for more than 10 million people in Los Angeles County.
DPW’s aim of implementing Release Management is to enable its managers and developers to visualize quickly and track the progress of their hundreds of in-house custom developed applications in ASP.NET, Web Forms and Legacy ColdFusion.
DPW maintains approximately 400 in-house custom developed applications using ASP.NET, Web Forms and Legacy ColdFusion. These sites are accessible to the public and undergo regular updates and new releases. DPW aim was to enable its managers and developers to visualize and track the progress of their projects and answer questions such as ‘what’s new or what is the latest release deployed in a particular environment’? As a part if implementation, DPW needed several capabilities, such as:
- Ensure developers on the project team can view the release and any issues associated with it, but not modify it
- Developers to receive email notifications whenever a release succeeds or fails
- A central group of administrators to create/modify/delete release management profiles for any project
- Reports on the deployment
This was first of its kind at DPW, and WATI’s solution included installation, implementation, and training, as below.
- Guide DPW’s developers on the use of Git for version control
- Guide DPW’s web server administrators on the use of Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services and Release Management
- Setup build server for compiling MVC applications in preparation for deployment
- Configure Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services and Release Management for variety of deployment scenarios, such as:
- Build and deploy MVC applications to intranet server
- Build and deploy MVC applications to internet server
- Build and deploy MVC applications to AZURE site
- Deploy ColdFusion applications
- Deploy ASP.NET Web Forms Applications
WATI’s services incorporated two-stage deployment – auto-deploy to a staging server, then with approval workflow and deploy to final server.